Friday, January 01, 2010

The #1 most important tool....

I'm not here to profess that I know everything about photography (I'm not even close to knowing a quarter of what's out there), but recently I got to thinking... There seems to be a new thought process going on among photographers today (I still struggle with it sometimes myself)... I guess it's primarily in America. Many photographers (primarily young ones new to the field) think that having the newest, latest, and greatest equipment will make your images better, and make you a more successful and profitable business person. This couldn't be further from the truth...the only thing I'll guarantee it will do for you is get you into debt really fast....learn to use what you have first... The most important tool you could ever possess isn't electronic (though some would argue)... it's your brain. Knowing what you want before you capture it digitally is half the battle... the other half is actually doing it... Your creativity, willingness to take risks, and confidence levels will determine how far you'll go in the field. We recently returned from a camping trip in Garner State Park (highly recommended in the Winter, 'cause crowds are down to a minimum)... I took both my SLR and a Point-and-shoot cameras... From catching fish, playing basketball, roasting hotdogs and marshmellows on a campfire, hiking, caving, and just having fun family-time... I captured some images.... Just having a camera handy is a major step in helping expand your creativity as a photographer.... The images below are several of my favorites... And guess what? They were all taken with a point-and-shoot camera... a measly, little 9 mp camera.... Just goes to show you, a camera is just a tool... How you use it to create images that you like, is using the #1 most important tool you can possess.... your mind. Happy New Year everyone... Enjoy...





No comments: