Sunday, May 10, 2009

Laney....

I’ve had the pleasure of having Laney for two years in my classes at JM. She falls in between a Tomboy and a girlie girl. She’s all about being outdoors, on a ranch, or just having fun outside. Laney invited me out to her father’s ranch-hand place. There are numerous animals (horses, miniature horses, llamas, longhorn cattle, and ducks, to name a few). There’s also a small lake on the property as well. When I arrived it was really hot, and the sun was slightly hazy. We started out with the miniature horses next to the windmill. We then proceeded to the stables, front porch, and then headed out to the lake. The longhorn cattle were grazing right where we were (we had planned on using them in a few images), so we had her dad put out some range snacks (I don’t remember what they called them). The longhorn cattle were huge. Their horns stretched out at least 5-6 feet on some of them. Laney would get close and they would smell her hand. At one point, they all gathered around her, and two of them came right up to her, she was nervous. The cattle had a million flies all over them, so they would swing their heads from side to side to swat the flies away. Well, Laney was right there and one of them swung the horns around and just caught her forearm. Luckily, no damage was done (maybe a bruise in the morning). It was a little scary standing around these 2000 pound beasts with long weapons. We also used some of the natural flora (i.e. cactus and oak trees). Then we finished up at the lake and pier. Laney pulled out her competition shotgun, while wearing her dress and boots. It was a sight. I thought we’d have a great sunset, but a thick hazy cloud settled just on the horizon, so I thought my hopes were sunk. All of the sudden, those hazy clouds lit up and “BAM”, there’s this gorgeous sky. We got some pretty cool images. This session really pushed me (photographically speaking); I haven’t photographed on location in a while. I really like her images… Hope she will too…. More on the site… Enjoy…

No comments: